Why is Occupy Wall St. Still Occupying the News?

To tell you the truth, I haven’t been following the Occupy movement at all. The most I thought I new before I read up on it was that people were angry with the government about the rich taking over power of America (the 1%) and the rest of us (the 99%) getting left behind. According to the Occupy Wall Street website:

[We are] fighting back against the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process, and the role of Wall Street in creating an economic collapse that has caused the greatest recession in generations.

They were influenced by the uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia and plan on fighting the the “richest 1% of people that are writing the rules of an unfair global economy that is foreclosing on our future.” On September 17, 2011, a group of people began to occupy Liberty Square and that group has grown since. They stand by their principles of solidarity, the statement of autonomy, their declaration of the occupation, and the fact that everyone has a right to occupy space safely.

In the beginning, the people at Occupy Wall Street were very gung-ho for their cause.

They didn’t care about their living situations.

So is it worth it for them to be sacrificing themselves like that? They seem happy in that video, but none of them had really been there longer than two weeks. It has now been almost five months and I’m curious as to whether or not many of those people are still hanging around.

According to an article written by Douglas Rushkoff on CNN.com, “We are witnessing America’s first true Internet-era movement.” And as of October 5, 2011, when this article was written, the public outside of the movement had no idea what where the movement was headed. Rushkoff stated that the protesters have many complaints – the collapsing environment, labor standards, housing policy, government corruption, World Bank lending practices, unemployment, increasing wealth disparity, etc – but they have yet to really express what they think the problem is. Rushkoff also makes a good point that many of the younger people involved are only coming for the excitement, or to be a part of something.

As of right now, I don’t believe that the Occupy movement has done anything to help the 99%. They have nothing to show for themselves. The people at NPR state that “most of the Occupy encampments across the country have been disbanded and the future of the movement remains uncertain.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s